Yesterday Sarah, the author of the blog Finding My Ground: A Unitarian Universalist homeschooling mom seeking communion with the universe, responded to a the UUA survey on best practices for UU bloggers. This survey was first conducted by Shelby Meyerhoff in 2008 with a report (PDF) produced featuring responses from a fine assortment of UU bloggers.
I was happy to learn through Sarah’s post that the UUA’s Best Practices for Unitarian Universalist Blogging page includes an invitation for bloggers writing about Unitarian Universalistm to answer the survey questions. Here is the text of the invitation.
We are eager to share insights and advice from additional Unitarian Universalist bloggers. If your blog focuses on and promotes Unitarian Universalism, please consider posting your own answers to the survey questions on your blog and then emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the URL of your completed survey. Links to completed surveys will be listed on this page.
As someone who is working with UU media and is regularly asked to report on trends and best practices, I hope those of you who are blogging on UU topics will dedicate a post to the survey questions. If you responded previously, as I did in 2008, chances are it is time for an update!
Update: Some new responses coming in…
- Why do you blog? What goals do you have for your blog?
- Who is your intended audience?
- Who owns your blog? Does it belong to you as individual or to your congregation or other organization?
- How frequently do you post?
- What is the tone of your blog?
- What steps do you take to make sure that your blog is a safe space, both for you and for other participants? Do you have a code of conduct?
- What kinds of boundaries do you observe around confidentiality?
- How do you respond to comments and email from readers?
- What are the most challenging aspects of blogging in your experience?
- What are the most rewarding aspects of blogging in your experience?
- What advice would you give to Unitarian Universalists who are new to blogging and want to get started?
- How do you evaluate the success of your blog? What have been your most successful blog posts or series?
- What do you wish you had done differently in your blogging?
- What other online tools do you use to promote your blog? (i.e. social networking sites, Twitter, social bookmarking tools, etc.)
- Do you use an Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feed? How many subscribers do you have?
- Do you track site traffic? How many unique visitors do you have per day (on average)?
- Do you find Unitarian Universalist Association resources helpful to you as a blogger? What additional resources could we provide to Unitarian Universalist bloggers?
- Please write any additional comments or suggestions.