Sunday I had the pleasure of guest speaking and leading a program at the Unitarian Church of Sharon, MA with our district executive, William Zelazny. Our focus was on the possibilities and potential associated with a new building and a new minister arriving in the Fall, search willing.
Three weeks ago the Sharon congregation opened a new addition and renovation including a three level elevator. I remember when my home congregation in Providence, RI, opened its new building after years of study, design and a lengthy build.
New buildings make us look at congregational life with fresh eyes.
- How do we do this?
- Where does that go?
- How do people know to go from here to there?
- What signs do we need?
- Where do we need greeters?
- How do we need to change?
- How can we meet the opportunities of the days to come?
- Now that we have a 5 start building, maybe we should have a five star…
Of course, these are all things we should be asking regularly even without new buildings.
Photo credit: Flickr